Online Tutor Applicant FAQs
Answers to all your questions about working as an online tutor with Tutor.com.
Q: What are an online tutor’s responsibilities?
- Connecting online with students of all ages to provide homework help and tutoring in the subjects for which you have demonstrated expertise.
- Guiding students to understand the topics they bring to each tutoring session.
- Encouraging students to engage actively with their topics to build deeper understanding.
- Helping build student confidence in their ability to learn and to understand challenging concepts.
- Using state of the art online tools such as an interactive whiteboard, voice and chat communication, and application sharing.
- Classifying each session according to the scope and sequence of the topics discussed.
- Changing lives, one at a time.
Q: Who are Tutor.com online tutors?
Many types of professionals have found part-time remote work with Tutor.com:
- Teachers and retired teachers
- College and graduate students
- Math professionals/experts
- Science professionals/experts
- Computer science experts
Q: Am I qualified to become a tutor for Tutor.com?
Review our online tutor criteria below:
- Currently reside in the U.S.
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- Are eligible to work in the U.S. *
- Are available to tutor at least five hours per week
- Are an expert in your subject (Not sure? Check our concept list!)
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills with fluency in the English language
- Currently enrolled as a college sophomore or higher at an accredited University in pursuit of a 4-year degree, OR have a 4-year degree (or higher) from an accredited University.
* at this time we are unable to accept applications from those requiring sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B visa, F-1 visa, and/or OPT status)
If you meet the above requirements, start your application!
Q: What are the technology requirements?
You're well-equipped to become a tutor – is your computer? Check out Tutor.com’s required specs:
- Windows 11 or Windows 10
- 4.0 GB of system memory (RAM) or greater (we recommend 8 GB)
- Processor (CPU) running at 1.8 GHz or higher (we recommend 2.4 GHz)
- Terrestrial (land-based) Internet service (Cable, DSL, Fiber, etc.)
- Satellite internet or 3G/4G/public Wi-Fi hotspot connections cannot be accepted
- Internet connection speed of 15 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up (we recommend: 20 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up)
- Microsoft Office or equivalent 3rd party software that can view and edit Office files (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx)
- Desktop or laptop with Display capable of at least 1280 x 720px resolution (we recommend 1920 x 1080px)
- Netbook-style laptops may not attain the required resolution
- Headset or speakers/microphone for use with our software's Voice feature
- Webcam or integrated camera for use with our software's Video feature
- Prefer to work on a Mac? If you’re able to install and run Windows via a multi-boot system (i.e. Boot Camp) or in an emulated environment (i.e. Parallels, VMWare) and you can obtain the required software (i.e. Microsoft Word) for Windows, your application will be considered.
Q: How do I know if I can tutor a particular subject?
Review our tutor concept list! to see how your skills measure up. To expedite your application, use our tutor application portal to take a competency exam in one of our high-demand subjects:
- Calculus/ Calculus BC
- Discrete Math
- Finite Math
- Chemistry/Organic Chemistry
- Statistics/College Statistics
- Economics (Intro, Micro, Macro)
- Accounting (Intro, Intermediate, Cost, Managerial, Tax Accounting)
- Nursing, Medical Coding, Health Administration
- Research Methods
- Computer Science - Database Systems, Web Design, Python
- Essay Writing - College Level
- Quantitative Methods
Q: Do I have to tutor certain hours?
Tutor.com allows you to create a flexible schedule that fits your needs. Our service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, which means you can create a new schedule on a week-to-week basis. There are three ways to tutor:
- Create a schedule each week
- Log on unscheduled and pick up sessions
- Set availability for scheduled appointments
Q: Where does tutoring take place?
Our convenient online classroom lets you tutor from your home, office, dorm or from any computer with a stable, high-speed internet connection. No travel expenses necessary! See if your computer has the right specs.
Q: How much are tutors paid?
You are paid a set hourly rate dictated by the subjects you tutor, and there are incentives available for high-quality tutoring. Unlike private tutoring where you must deal with potential delays from clients, payment comes on a set schedule directly from Tutor.com. More information on our pay structure will be provided once you have successfully completed the initial application and subject exam phase of the process.
Q: How can I become a tutor?
If you meet our prerequisites and you want to become a tutor, check out our Application Process or apply now! The application process will take 1-3 weeks, depending on how quickly you complete each step.